Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Truly Amazing Story

Heidi and I have been blown away by the number of people who prayed for us as we awaited Harrison's arrival into this world and his arrival into our family. We knew that our friends and family were praying, but we are learning each day that many more people were lifting this adoption up in prayer than we ever realized.

I have had people I haven't talked to in years call or write to tell us that they had been praying. At church the other day, a lady we had never met in our lives came up, gave us a hug, and said that she was so happy that God answered her prayers. This woman never met us, but prayed to God on our behalf. How cool is that?

Perhaps the most incredible story of prayer for Harrison came this morning when my sister told me about her former boss' prayer:

In the days before we brought Harrison home, my sister was chatting with her old boss and he asked how Heidi and I were doing (we had met him on a trip to D.C. three years earlier). Erin explained the situation we were in and how we were worried that we may have to go back home without the child we have prayed so fervently for. He told her that he was heading out of the country soon and would be sure to say a special prayer for us.

A few days later, he was in Jerusalem, Israel on business. One day, he took some time to go visit The Church of the Holy Sepulcher (the traditionally accepted site of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection). While he was there, he purchased a prayer candle on our behalf, had a priest bless it, and placed it at the location where Jesus is believed to have been crucified. His prayer for us was that the child would be ours.

This happened on Friday, June 6 -- a few hours before Harrison officially became our son.

Amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael Gray, I must tell you, I almost starting crying when I read that you finally were taking your son home. I know, me, crying... I must have had something in my eye... :) Your family is a perfect example of God's blessing in response to you trusting in His plan, even when it was tough.