Friday, June 13, 2008

Apparently, I'm a Sick Man

A number of people have made comments today that make me feel like I might be a complete freak of nature. I have seen some looks of mild-to-moderate horror and have noticed the slight wagging of more than a few heads indicating an unusual level of disgust with me. Even my wife has given me her rare but potent "I can't believe I married you" look. All of this is because I was genuinely looking forward to today's big event: Harrison's circumcision.

[Crowd gasps in horrific disbelief]

I'm not a sadist. I do have a heart. No, its not made of stone -- its made of flesh and blood just like yours.

I have always had a deep fascination with medical procedures, and I had never in my life seen a circumcision -- until today. I wasn't even sure how it was accomplished and I was totally curious to see it. Now, before you call Child Protective Services, please know that I take no pleasure in seeing or hearing my son in pain. The circumcision was going to happen no matter what, so why shouldn't be there to see it?

While Heidi sat in the waiting room a safe distance from where the procedure was done, I got to be there to next to Harrison, comforting him with my voice and a binky dipped over and over again in sugar water. The circumcision was fascinating like I hoped it would be (I'll spare you the graphic details), but I really loved that I could be there with my boy, whispering his name and telling him that I was there and that I love him. That was cool.

I went in today looking forward to the experience of seeing my first circumcision and left the hospital with a sense of gratitude that the medical procedure wasn't the most poignant memory I'd walk away with.

I may be a sick man, but I sure love being a dad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you hear about the doctor who didn't charge for circumcisions? He only took tips!

Anonymous said...

No, my fav, you are not a sick man. I think your commentary was beautiful and brought tears to my eye. While I share your facination with medical procedures, I too stayed as far away as I could when my boys were circumcised. Kallahan was not circumcised until he was 6 and what a horrific experience that was. Cynthia thought the procedure cruel and unusual punishment until he got an infection under the, you know (can't bring myself to type it! :) ). The correction was so much more painful and horrible than fixing the "problem" in the first place!! Anyhoo, I know why God made it a requirement for the Jews and all who follow their example are smart. Besides, uncircumcised? Sick and Wrong!!
Love you guys. Kiss my great-nephew for me!!

Anonymous said...

Don't Snip the Tip!