Friday, September 28, 2007

This is Messed Up

I just read an article about the guy who has prepared our taxes for the last four years. He is being indicted on 136 counts of tax fraud and forgery. Heidi and I knew something was up when our usual $2,000 tax return took a huge swing to become a $5,000 tax liability this past year.

Now it looks like the government might be auditing our tax returns for at least three years back (I think that is the statute of limitations on taxes). Just what we need.

What bothers me the most is that Heidi and I don't know a great deal about the insanely complex tax system, and we trusted this guy to prepare them for us. We never wanted to short-change the government, we just wanted to pay our taxes like other honest, hard-working Americans. Now we are going to have to take the hit to fix a situation that we didn't cause.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate dealing with taxes!

2 comments:

brent hodges said...

that royally sucks.

Anonymous said...

Dude! That is terrible. Would have been nice for the Gov't to inform you that they were in the process of a 2 1/2 year investigation so you could avoid this.
I agree that a 77,000 page individual tax code is confusing, ridiculous and frustrating.