Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Appointed Time Has Come



I am not what I should be.


On Sunday, October 11, 2007 I will turn 30 years old. The thought of leaving my 20s behind and still having so many shortcomings in my life makes me a bit depressed. I would have thought that, by this time in my life, I would have been more -- more organized, more physically fit, more spiritually strong, a better communicator, more confident, more of a leader -- more of about a hundred different things that I am not, but should be.

This MG2 Project is intended to be a catalyst in improving myself -- sort of like a New Year's resolution that begins in May. I have five months until I turn 30, and I want who I am now and who I will be on that day to be different. I want to see an improved version of me in these three areas:

SOUL ~ Spiritual Discipline I have never been consistent at doing devotions or praying. I believe in them wholeheartedly, but haven't done a good job at developing spiritual discipline in my own daily life. On some level, being around church all my life has made me somewhat immune to the excitement that others get when they read the Bible, or pray to a loving God. These things have been my life from infancy -- and Satan has exploited that familiarity to his advantage by making me almost ambivalent in these areas.

BODY ~ Physical Discipline I'm not merely out of shape, I'm in poor shape. I always find excuses for not working out or for not eating right, and those excuses have only led to me being what I am now. In addition to the typical list of symptoms I get to deal with from being in poor shape, I believe that my current inability to produce children is directly related to my physical health. That both saddens me and enrages me. Things need to change.

MIND ~ Mental Discipline This may be the hardest thing for me to change because I feel like my brain simply does not work the way I need it to in order to be a great leader. I am a very slow information, idea, and thought processor. This makes my ability to work quickly and communicate clearly (especially verbally) a very difficult thing. I communicate well in writing because I am able to think about what I want to write, write it, and then go back and refine my message before anyone ever reads it. I cannot do that with everyday personal interactions and it frustrates me to no end.

The same goes with my work. I have a very difficult time producing quality work under a crunch or with little information or guidance. I rely a bit to much on time buffers. I need to learn how to retrain my mind to be sharper, more visionary, and prepared to produce immediate and high quality results when I'm called upon to do so.


Well, that was an overview of the MG2 Project. You may wonder why I put something like this on my blog. Two reasons - accountability and encouragement. If I make this public, I am more likely to stick with it because I know that other people are hip to what I am trying to accomplish (and what I am trying to avoid). When they see me eating at Barro's, they'll be able to remind me that I have fitness goals that I am sacrificing for two [great] slices of pizza. Also, I hope that people will encourage me along the way to keep at it (especially in relation to my spiritual discipline).

The MG2 Project begins today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I wasn't expecting any details until tomorrow, but I was glad to read them today. I applaud your desire for change!! Good luck, and you know Justin and I will be there for both accountability and encouragement (aka sarcastic jokes)!!

Bethany

Anonymous said...

And... GO! Today is the day! I'm proud of you for your desire to be MORE. The great (and sometimes daunting) thing about this journey is that it has no foreseeable finish line. It is a lifelong endeavor; Paul put it best in Philippians 3,

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I also like the simplicity and frankness of the Contemporary English Version:

12I have not yet reached my goal, and I am not perfect. But Christ has taken hold of me. So I keep on running and struggling to take hold of the prize. 13My friends, I don't feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead. 14I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done.

I think each of the areas you mentioned are vital parts of this "pressing on". So put what is behind you BEHIND you, and run with pereverance the race set out before you. And remember, Michael: you don't need to worry about the areas in which you are UNABLE. You just need to know that God is ABLE, when his timing is right. SO PRESS ON! Take hold of the prize! We are praying for you!

Paul Lewis said...

Michael,

I will be praying for you, and encouraging you! Read Phil. 1:6 it has meant a lot to me, I think it will mean a lot to you in your quest.

Anonymous said...

Babe, I'm glad you are doing this...and hopefully the guys at work will read this, and watch your every move during lunch time! :) But I think the most important goal is the "SOUL GOAL"...don't buy into the lie from Satan that its no big deal! Stick with it, and I will too!!

I love you,

Heidi