Monday, April 28, 2008

Why I Don't Watch the News

Modern television news media has become useless on so many levels. Sometimes I wonder how hard assignment editors have to work just to find stories to fill up their air time. The following video is a prime example of why I don't spend much of my time watching the local news.

Click on the picture below to view the news story; this is reporting at its crappiest:



Aside from the fact that this completely inane story made it to a live broadcast, I find it particularly bothersome that it aired within the first ten minutes of their 8:00 news (see the timestamp above). Where exactly is the newsworthiness of this story?

To make things worse, the City of Gilbert had to add their personal touch of absurdity by having Greg Svelund, the official city spokesperson, comment on the issue by saying, "I think this is something that can be solved with education." What?!

Here, allow me:

Dog Park Etiquette 101:

Lesson 1
: Dog poop is stinky
Lesson 2: A lot of dog poop fermenting in one area is even stinkier
Lesson 3: To minimize the stink, pick up Precious' poop
Lesson 4: Should have told you before Lesson 3 to use the plastic bags and not your bare hand, you flippin' idiot
Lesson 5: Don't ever leave the house if you are dumber than your dog

I'm pretty sure that I just saved the taxpayers of Gilbert a lot of wasted education dollars.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post is a prime example of why you are one of my favorite people in the world! i laughed so hard i peed a little.

Anonymous said...

Was it just me, or did Heather Moore seem completely disgusted as well by this story? It was an extremely awkward conversation at the end of the piece. I think everyone knew it shouldn't have aired, let alone the 14.5 times they showed dog poop laying around.

P.S. Lesson 5 is my new life moto.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

You know what the REALLY tragic thing about that story is? This is sweeps! That means they've been s(h)itting on this story for a while and have been waiting to "let 'er rip" at the right time. Ew.

Anonymous said...

If you thought that story was bad, check out this one from Idaho Falls. My favorite line is "preferential place to leave a log."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3mFPhyk94

Jason Palmer said...

Maybe it's immaturity, but any story about poop makes me giggle a little. This story proves that Goodyear rocks and Gilbert stinks!

Shaun Palmer said...

My favorite part is when the anchor apologizes for wasting the viewers' time, and tells that reporter that his story was worthless. That's priceless television.