Thursday, March 01, 2007

What Dreams May Come...

Dreams are very interesting occurrences aren't they? While your body is prostrate in restful slumber, your mind is throwing a neighborhood block party. Its almost as if the brain gets bored with rest before the body does. Like a child without adult supervision, the mind gets into all the cupboards of the brain and makes a mess. Dreams are ADHD of the mind.

The thing I like best about dreams is the fact that there are no rules governing the dream world. Things that are impossible or ridiculous in real life are completely run-of-the-mill in dreams. If, in real life, I saw a pink moose singing Sinatra songs in the toilet paper aisle at Safeway, I would go immediately to the psychiatrist and get some help. But in dreams, there is always a perfectly reasonable answer for that moose being there, and an equally valid reason why a moose would be singing Sinatra rather than Marvin Gaye. I love that.

In dreams, it is perfectly normal to wear clown shoes to your ex-girlfriend's wedding. In fact, the mother of the bride would undoubtedly compliment you on your style and then lament the fact that her daughter ever let you slip out of her hands.

Here are some of my most vivid weird-but-not-weird dreams:

A family of large, flying Weebles cheering me on as I complete a Noah's Ark jigsaw puzzle at my dinner table in Portales, New Mexico. The only problem was that they only clapped when I put the wrong piece in the wrong place. Weebles are jerks.

My favorite Humpty Dumpty stuffed toy taking me by one arm and one leg, spinning me around wildly, and throwing me through the glass window in my bedroom. He was paying me back for not being more gentle with him, I guess.

Me riding on the back of a flying, fire-breathing dragon and turning to lock lips with the princess hanging on behind me. She was your stereotypical princess - pink gown, tall, pointy pink hat, blonde hair. Beautiful.

Stopping by someone's house and playing with their litter of Cockercats -- half house cat, half Cocker Spaniel -- and thinking that they were, by far, the cutest pets alive.

Those are a few of the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Ok, homework time.

Since you read this blog, I want you to add to it by posting one of your most vivid dreams that had unusual elements that weren't unusual in the actual dream. Everyone loves a good dream. Let's hear yours...

7 comments:

Jason M. Hammond said...

Have I told you the one where I'm at a card table in the woods, and a huge bus appears at the top of the hill, beyond the trees, and begins barreling down the hill crushing the trees in its wake making its way towards the people at the table? Oh, I didn't? Ok. Plus, did you read my Phantom dream on myspace??

Michael Gray said...

In response to Jason's comment, I must be honest in saying that this post originated, in part, by reading the post on his blog where he describes a dream where he plays the Phantom of the Opera. The weird-but-not-weird part of his dream was him carrying a quill pen all over the stage. You'll have to read his post to understand it. Click on the "Jason Hammond (MySpace)" link on my homepage.

Thanks for the inspiration Jason.

kimbasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Gray said...

What if you had a dream that the dart game "Killer" was played without a dartboard? You could actually throw darts at each other. The first person to be impaled 8 times is out and goes directly to the hospital.

Of course, the dream must have rules for double and tripple score areas. For instance, darting an eye out would be a triple.

That would be a cool dream if you win, but if you lose, I think you would have to classify that as a horrible nightmare.

I'm sick aren't I?

Derrick Logan said...

This probably doubles as one of my earliest childhood memories (3-4 years old)...

So there was this puppet stage/curtain and hanging into the middle of the puppet curtain was a single light bulb with a pull string. I was safe so long as the light was on but when my Aunt Terri turned it off, I was chased by lions around the curtain. My Uncle Jeromy would watch and laugh.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever told anyone about this dream before but I remember it as if I dreamed it last night.

Anonymous said...

One funny dream I always think of is when I woke up and wouldn't speak to you for about 15 minutes becuase I had a dream you were cheating you me. And if I ever meet that girl that you were "cheating on me" with - I will break her legs!

:) Love you babe!

Anonymous said...

For a few days before a vacation to Boston, I dreamt about the upcoming trip every night. I was going to museums, seeing friends, strolling through Quincy Market, etc. One of those dreams that I remember especially is that I was on the Subway in Boston, dressed in Burberry plaid with a whole pack of white toys poodles on leashes. They were collectively named "Rice".