Saturday, December 30, 2006

Afternoon Tea at the Grand America

I just returned from experiencing an afternoon tea at the Grand America Hotel in downtown Salt Lake City. I'm sure that many of you manly-men might wonder why another guy would ever consider being within 100 yards of an afternoon tea, but it was really enjoyable.

This place is a 5-star hotel and is incredible. We (me, Heidi, my sister Erin, her husband Jared, and my mom) sat just off the main lobby where we were served finger sandwiches, scones, desserts, and of course tea. I chose a white tea, which I have never heard of before. It was great -- had a bit of a spicy, peppery flavor. Very unique taste.

While we sipped and ate, we listened to a very gifted harpist playing music in the center of the room. What is most interesting is that the harpist was Elizabeth Smart. You may remember a few years ago that she was kidnapped from her Utah home and forced to wander around the west in a disguise as one of the wives of some very bizarre self-proclaimed prophet/savior/messiah. She was rescued about a year later -- something that almost nobody could have predicted.

While listening to her play her harp beautifully, I began to feel bad for her situation. Here she was playing elegant music in front of people who recognize her and whisper comments to the people around them about what had happened to her. I'm sure that all the people who make comments do not mean to be rude or hurtful or judge her about anything, but I imagine that she feels a tremendous burden while she sits in front of people in such a public setting.

I imagine that each time she makes eye-contact with someone she wonders if they are thinking or talking about what had happened to her. Replaying bad memories on your own is problem enough, but I would guess that being reminded of your past in the eyes of a perfect stranger has to be even more difficult. I pray that she is able to live her life without the past constantly haunting her.

All things aside, she is an amazingly capable harpist and it was a pleasure to hear her play.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that by now Elizabeth has learned to ignore the stares and mutterings of people. It is unfortunate that people continue to see her as a kidnap victim instead of a gifted harpist and a person, but I think eventually people will stop talking about it.

Anonymous said...

I thought that same thing Michael. As I sat there watching her, she seemed sad, almost broken. I pray she finds healing (total healing).

Heidi