Friday, January 23, 2009

Despising the Prodigal Son



I am writing this post to express my feelings on a particular spiritual issue that has been festering away inside me for years. In many ways, I imagine that what I have to say will generate some pretty strong opposition, and I welcome any challenges or thoughts you may have about this post. For what it's worth, I have heard probably a hundred sermons on this topic and none of them have brought me to a resolution that makes me comfortable.

I dare say that just about every person who has been to church more than three times in his life is familiar with the story of the prodigal son found in Luke 15:11-32. To sum it up for you, a son goes to his father demanding his inheritance early, squanders it all on whores and partying, goes flat broke, realizes that he never had it better than when he was back home, returns to his father, and receives the celebration of a lifetime when he walks through the door. This is an incredible parable that Jesus tells to illustrate the fact that, no matter what happened in a person's past, God is waiting with open arms to accept him and forgive him.

But the story doesn't just end there.

The prodigal son had an older brother who stayed behind and continued to work faithfully for his father while the younger son was livin' la vida loca with the large inheritance he so selfishly demanded. After the younger son returned, this is what Jesus says went down:

25 “Now his older son was in the field; as he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he summoned one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 ‘Your brother is here,’ he told him, ‘and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “Then he became angry and didn’t want to go in. So his father came out and pleaded with him. 29 But he replied to his father, ‘Look, I have been slaving many years for you, and I have never disobeyed your orders, yet you never gave me a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your assets with prostitutes, you slaughtered the fattened calf for him.’

I gotta be honest, I feel for the guy; on some levels I really relate to him. This parable is used over and over again in churches as a reminder that we as Christians need to be about the business of reconciling others to Christ, and I am completely on board with that. Where my biggest hang-up arrives is in the fact that this ungrateful punk already knew the life his father could provide and left it anyway.

I can see how the church would rejoice when a non-believer comes to Christ -- no matter his or her background -- but it kills me to think of the church equally celebrating the return of a believer who knew God before making the deliberate decision to live for the world. In my mind, this sort of person is welcome to return to grace, but not by way of a ticker-tape parade. It seems to me that stories like these typically end up as tear-jerking video highlights or moving on-stage testimonials, while the stories of faithful Christians who struggle each day to deny themselves are ignored completely.

I know that my disdain for the prodigal son is probably a bit off-base theologically, but its difficult for me to celebrate the deliberate disobedience of someone who I believe should know better. I have seen this story happen over and over again since I was in college, and it only gets more difficult to deal with each time I witness it. I guess if I had to boil my thoughts down to its simplest form it would be this: I'm not bothered with the forgiveness in this passage, but I am bothered with the fanfare.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Michael, that's a great post. I don't think it's theologically off-base, but a part of who we are as humans.

I particularly resonate with the fanfare for "returners" while ignoring the Christ-followers who live it out every day.

Greg
www.gregrohlinger.com

Anonymous said...

I think of few things you must remember. One, the prodigal son completely humbled himself and came home expecting to be a servant in his father's home. He did not come back expecting the fiesta that was to become. Two, the prodigal son spent his inheritance already...do you think he got more later? How could he? It was probably up to him to work hard and earn money, or be at the mercy of his brother after his father died. Either way, there were consequences for his wandering...that doesn't mean his father isn't thrilled that he returned home safe! Through his experiences he also learned humility, which I'm sure helped in reconciling with his brother!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael, Aunt Jana here. I agree with you. I remember when Uncle Scott gave his testimony to our youth group when he was in college. He said he didn't have much of a testimony because he had never smoke, drank or took drugs. He didn't sleep around and he respected and obeyed his parents. John was floored by him saying he didn't have much of a testimony. John thought he had the greatest testimony because he lived his life as he should. It will never make a movie, but I believe God has honored Scott for his dedication.

Anonymous said...

Came across your post quite randomly. I always had the same thoughts, but I had a personal experience that put it in perspective for me:

Right before John Wayne died, he accepted Christ into his life. Upon hearing that, my mom said, "Oh right, I have accepted Christ all my life and lived accordingly, but he accepts Christ right before he dies and lived however he pleased and he gets the same benefits I do?"

It made me chuckle, because some of the scriptures kind of clicked after I heard my mom say that. Yeah, he does get the same benefits. You don't get to accept Christ more than anyone else. And once you do...the fanfare is the promises of Heaven. So, I don't really see it as a forgiveness scripture as much as I see it as an acceptance scripture. Best of luck. Hope you don't mind the random comment.